Monday, December 1, 2008

My Soldier

The man I knew was kind and caring
Always tending to my every need.
The man I knew kissed the floor that I walked on
And was marriage material.
The man I knew was the man I fell in love with.
The man I knew doesn’t exist anymore.
The man I knew went to war after 9/11
And came back a stranger.
The man before me yells, and fights
And doesn’t care about my needs.
This man would crumble the floor I walk on just to see me fall.
This man is not just any man.
He carries the face of the man I once loved
But the attitude of a stranger.
I fight for us, and want you to remember all the great times we had,
But I know that all you think about it is what you saw over there.
The pain you had to endure for this country,
And now the pain I endure to get back the one I love.
I wish and hope the man I knew will come back
But he had my heart and left it in Iraq.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to see the road ahead when looking through tears... both literally and figuratively. Thank you for knowing me to where the depths of my aches inspire beautifully written prose from your love. Even though half my heart remains is in Iraq, you really help to bring it back. I love you. Thank you.

Unknown said...

OMG this is incredible - I can totally relate to this anxiety, fear, and loss. Love you mama.

nana said...

thanks mamas. i wrote this for u. for the women who love a soldier, and somehow lost him along the way